Tuesday 10 January 2012

Going for the money shot

Last night I decided to play around with my homemade grid spots.

I had trouble looking for something small that was of interest to shoot inside the house. After 30 minutes or so of shooting  I pulled out the old coin and note collection, located in the deep recesses of my closet.

I felt that the texture of the notes needed to be shown in order to convey how much it had been used previously.

Unfortunately when I was setting this up I discovered that my cheap economically priced Honkese radio triggers (that I had bought on eBay) had broken, rendering them utterly useless.

(Enter cheap optical slaves)

Set up shot





SB600 and SB700 in gridspots - optical slaves attached


My work around for this situation was to face the slaves upwards towards the ceiling and attach my SB900 to the camera and bounce it off the ceiling, so that the slaves would fire off (@ 1/128th power so that the light from it doesn't contaminate the image). To illustrate this I have really badly drawn diagram in MS paint READ: I can't draw to save my life - hence why I like photography as an artform.






So then I take a few test shots to start getting an idea how the notes look. I placed the two speedlights where they were so that I could create little shadows, to show the texture of the surface.

So I took a few test shots of some old Japanese occupation currency first:




The I tried to rotate the grids to have that real "shedding light on a secret" kind of thing



Then just add coins





I might consider taking more of my collection soon, given the results :)

Ta ta for now,

Az.

No comments:

Post a Comment