Tuesday 10 January 2012

5 minute Profile pic

5 minutes quite literally.

Yesterday I did a quick 2 light setup. I wanted to play more with my lumiquest softbox 3 but unfortunately at the time I just finished a meeting with alphapharm reps and I had to quickly wash the dishes before the wife came home so I tried for a quick setup. (Oh yeah I got a new job as the pharmacist in charge at a new pharmacy. Also while I'm at it - Happy new year readers!)

And here is the setup shot:


Now setting up a self composed, self profile picture can take a bit more time to set up (as you are going back and forth between camera and your position.  Normally I have my lovely wife to stand in for me so that I can have it all ready pretty quickly. Unfortunately at this time I had me, myself and I to help. I had the softbox aimed not at me but in front of me. The awesome thing about it is that it has a very defined throw of light - so I wanted to play with the edge of it. This way I wouldn't be putting much light on the background.



Once I had this light where I wanted, I wanted to use a grid on camera left to show the body of the guitar more. Getting it right was an experience, as I had to remember exactly where I had placed the guitar in relation to the grid. Once I had it roughly right I set up an interval timer and went for it.



Once I got the shot that I wanted - literally within 5 minutes (again.... dishes needed to be done) - I imported them (washed the dishes while that happened) then realised I left the ISO at 2500 on the camera. Super amateur mistake for the win. Thankfully the d700 is a bit more forgiving with higher ISOs then previous cameras. Later at night I pulled them into lightroom and used a brush to black out the bottom of the curtains, stool and my feet to get the last image that you see. 



Conclusion: Look at your camera settings more - especially if you are in a hurry.

Az.

No comments:

Post a Comment